Connect with us


Former Sudan President Omar Bashir rushed to hospital.



Ousted Sudanese president Omar Hassan Al Bashir was transferred to Aliaa Military Hospital in Omdurman as his health is deteriorating in prison.

Inmates shaving hair of their colleague, former president-turned-inmate, Omar el Bashir, former president, at Maximum Prison in Khartoum, Sudan(Photo: supplied)
Inmates shaving hair of their colleague, former president-turned-inmate, Omar el Bashir, at Kober Maximum Prison in Khartoum, Sudan(Photo: supplied)
The former president, who has been held in Kober prison in Khartoum since he was ousted by popular protests in April 2019, is also expected to be tested for COVID-19, even though he is not showing any visible symptoms of the virus.

Bashir’s brother, Abdullah, died last week after he contracted the coronavirus in prison.


The Authorities denied his request to attend the funeral although he was later allowed to meet with the family for two hours on Thursday, according to Sudanese media.

The former director of Bashir’s office, Major General Yasser Bashir, also died on Friday at Aliaa Military Hospital, where he was transferred from prison after contracting COVID-19.

A number of top Sudanese officials have been infected since the outbreak of the second wave of the pandemic leading to the death of some, including former prime minister and head of the nationalist Umma Party Sadiq al-Mahdi.

COVID-19 infections in Sudan are on the rise as the Ministry of Health has recorded 19 new COVID-19 related deaths, raising the total number of fatalities to 1,290.

It also announced 661 new confirmed cases, bringing the country’s total to 19,196, with 10,942 recoveries.

In al-Gezira, which is the second most affected town after Khartoum, health authorities declared 232 new cases and 30 deaths within ten days.

This has led the government to declare strict measures, including social distancing, wearing masks, and regular hand washing in a bid to control the spread of the disease.

Learning institutions have also been suspended as the government is trying to contain the spread of the virus.

The Emergency Health Committee announced it would reduce staff numbers to half, adding that workers over the age of fifty were granted paid leave.

Sudan entered a total lockdown for about six months during the first wave of the pandemic, but compliance with the measures was not complete.

The government is trying to avoid another lockdown over the deteriorating economic situation.


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


error: Content is protected !!